Diamond Jubilee Research Interns Awards
1. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- The Internship is meant to be preparatory phase for young Interns imbibing the spirit of enquiry and learning the tools and techniques of research through participation and doing. The scheme thus seeks for young interns.
- To gain from the knowledge and experience of accomplished scientists by working with them;
- To work on modern/state-of-art R&D facilities;
- To imbibe the spirit of R&D by jostling with role models;
- To develop capabilities in R&D related issues such as IP management, research planning and marketing of knowledge, S&T HRD, information products, etc;
- To take up science as a career;
- An opportunity for inter-laboratory training in research in transdisciplinary area of science
Applicant for the award should be:
- Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy
- Master’s degree holder in any branch of science
- MBBS degree holder
And should have secured 1st class or equivalent GPA in the above mentioned degree examination.
The age limit for the applicant shall be 25 years (as on last date of receiving applications) which is relaxable upto 5 years in case of SC/ST, physically handicapped and female candidates and 3 years in case of OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) candidates.
3. MODE OF SELECTION
- The Internship awards are decentralized. CSIR laboratories and its Headquarter will issue singly or collectively advertisement for award of Internship. The selection may be based on (a) candidate’s academic records and/or (b) performance in a test that may be conducted by the laboratory, and (c) interview as decided by the concern laboratory or Hqrs.
- The Director of the laboratory shall constitute a minimum three member Interview Committee consisting of (1) Director or his representative as Chairman and (2) Two experts- one from sister lab and one from outside CSIR (not below the rank of Senior Principal Scientist/Professor) as Members.
- Similar committee will be constituted by DG, CSIR for CSIR Hqrs.
- Overall coordination of the Diamond Jubilee Research Interns Awards will be done by HRDG. The laboratory shall send the list of the selected Interns to HRDG for information.
4. TENURE OF THE INTERNSHIP & STIPEND
- The Internship shall be tenable for a maximum period of two years from the date of joining and not extendable under any circumstances. The Internship carries a consolidated stipend of Rs. 24000/- per month. No other allowance shall be payable to the Interns.
- Intern’s continuation in the scheme shall be reviewed every six months. In case the performance is not satisfactory, the Internship may be terminated with one month’s notice or one month’s stipend in lieu thereof without assigning any reason. The Intern may also terminate the Internship before the expiry of the tenure by giving one month’s notice.
- The Intern shall have no claim for further extension, absorption or regularization in CSIR after the expiry/termination of the Internship.
- During the Internship period, the Interns would be free to appear NET/GATE and secure regular fellowship for doing PhD.
5. NUMBER OF INTERNS
The number of Interns in a lab or in CSIR (Hqrs.) at any time, taken separately, shall not exceed 30 (thirty).
The expenditure on the stipend and the Intern is to be met from the Laboratory Reserve/Hqrs. Reserve Fund (LRF/HQRF) as applicable. The expenditure should not exceed 10 percent of the LRF/HQRF available.
7. MONITORING AND ASSESSMENT
The Intern shall maintain record of facilities worked on, techniques learnt and actual work done. This shall be verified and authenticated by the scientist(s) under whose supervision the Intern works. On satisfactory completion of the Internship period, a certificate may be issued by the Competent Authority.
The Interns shall be entitled 30 days leave in a year and shall avail leave with the permission of the Competent Authority.
- Confidentiality Agreement
The Intern shall have to execute and abide by the terms of Confidentiality and Non Disclosure Agreement.
The Intern may be provided with the Hostel Accommodation if either the Research Fellow or employees eligible for Hostel are not available or are willing to avail allotment on date on which the Hostel has fallen vacant.
The license fees shall be charged as per the rules and Intern shall vacate the Hostel on the termination or expiry of the tenure, whichever is earlier.
- Other Conditions
For any misconduct by the Intern, his/her tenure shall be terminated by the Head of the Lab or Head of the Division as the case may be after giving him/her a reasonable opportunity to show cause as to why his/her Internship should not be terminated.