CSIR'S JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP (JRF) - GATE
To promote academic excellence in CSIR labs and to generate high level science, the scheme is aimed at GATE qualified engineering graduates and GPAT qualified pharmaceutical graduates to pursue research through a suitable PhD programme in AcSIR or in any other institution. These fellowships are tenable only at CSIR laboratories and JRFs selected under this scheme will have excellent opportunity to work with CSIR Scientists with state-of-art R&D facilities.
BE/B. Tech degree holders in engineering discipline with valid GATE score
Candidates with B.Pharm degree and having qualified GPAT
Candidates with B.Tech in Biotechnology with valid GATE score and subject to securing a minimum 85.00 percentile in GATE.
Candidates selected for the award of JRF-GATE will be eligible for fellowship subject to getting registered/enrolled for PhD/Integrated PhD program.
WHO ARE NOT ELIGIBLE
Candidates with ME/M. Tech degree;
All those eligible for direct CSIR-SRF are not eligible to apply for JRF GATE.
The upper age limit for JRF shall be 28 years which is relaxable upto 5 years in case of candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes, women and physically handicapped applicants and 3 years in case of OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) candidates.
STIPEND & TENURE
The fellowship amount is Rs 25000/-per month plus HRA.In addition, contingency grant of Rs.20,000/- per annum (calculated on pro rata basis for fraction of a year) is also provided.
Further on completion of two years as JRF-GATE, the fellowship may be upgraded to SRF-GATE and stipend may be increased to Rs. 28000/- per month in the subsequent years on the basis of assessment as per CSIR JRFNET guidelines.
The total duration of fellowship is five years within which the candidate is expected to complete the PhD degree.
- Selection of JRF-GATE will be done by CSIR laboratories by following selection procedure guidelines of advertising and interview by Committee duly constituted by the Director. The recommendations duly approved by Director are to be forwarded to Head, HRDG, along with all necessary supporting documents (viz. copy of the notification, GATE/GPAT scorecard, selection proceedings, biodata of the selected candidate(s), mark sheets, DoB certificate, Caste certificate, etc.). A formal award letter will be issued by CSIR-HRDG after scrutinizing and verifying the relevant documents.
- Each CSIR laboratory participating in Integrated M.Tech.-PhD programme of AcSIR may award a maximum of 5 (five) fellowships under CSIR JRF-GATE Scheme. The CSIR laboratories participating in Integrated MTech-PhD programme as per the data provided by AcSIR are as follows:
- Rest of the CSIR laboratories may award a maximum of 2 (two) JRF-GATE fellowships each year.
- The number of JRF-GATE fellowships awarded will not exceed 120 in a year. If the number of JRF-GATE fellowships awarded in a year is less than 120, the remaining fellowships may be passed on to other laboratories during the next year with the approval of DG, CSIR based on their requirement and request.
- No candidate should be offered fellowship under JRF-GATE scheme without prior approval from HRDG (CSIR).
- JRF-GATE fellowship scheme is tenable only in CSIR laboratories. Students awarded JRF-GATE fellowship can get register for PhD in any institution including AcSIR. GATE qualified engineering graduates who wants to pursue Integrated MTech-PhD programme will be registered in AcSIR only. As the JRF-GATE fellowship is awarded for pursuing PhD and therefore there will be no automatic exit after M.Tech.
Existing reservation guidelines of Government of India for direct recruitment on all India basis by open competition should strictly be followed. Each laboratory would maintain records with regard to reservation (e.g. for 25 JRF-GATE in a 5 year tenure, the distribution is as follows: UR-15, OBC-6, SC-3, ST-1 & PWD horizontal).
IMPORTANT POINTS TO BE NOTED
JRF-GATE are not to be deployed in any sponsored project.
JRF-GATE will be governed by terms and conditions of CSIR JRF-NET.